Delaware State University School Wellness Policy Paper
The Child Nutrition and WIC Reauthorization Act of 2004 and the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 requires development and implementation of a school wellness policy in school districts that participate in the National School Lunch Program and/or School Breakfast Program. In addition, school wellness policies must be evaluated every 3 years.
You should locate a current school wellness policy from a school district in your area, and download the policy or save the URL. ( any school in new jersey)
You should then develop a 4-5-page paper (approximately 1000-1250 words) that critiques the selected school wellness policy. In the paper, you should:
- Evaluate the policy for completeness and clarity versus ambiguity according to the USDA elements discussed at https://healthymeals.fns.usda.gov/local-wellness-policy-resources/school-nutrition-environment-and-wellness-resources/wellness-policy
- Nutrition education
- Nutrition promotion
- Physical activity
- All foods available on the school campus/property
- Other school-based activities
- Identify 3 areas for improvement/clarification in the policy and provide specific recommendations. If the policy is considered strong, and weaknesses are not observed, you should instead identify 3 areas of strength and provide rationale.
- Consider the usefulness and practicality of the school wellness policy that was evaluated. Does the policy meet the intentions of the legislation requiring school wellness policies? Why or why not?
- An introduction and conclusion to the paper is required.